Frequently Asked Questions


Does the Brazil Office function as an admissions office? Does it receive applications for undergraduate and graduate programs at Harvard?
No. The Brazil Office in not an admissions office and does not receive applications for college or post-graduate studies. Please note that no single office at Harvard handles admissions to all schools and programs. Instead, each school maintains its own admissions office and a specialized staff in Cambridge and Boston (USA) to meet the needs of prospective students. For additional information, please see:
Harvard University Admissions & Aid.

Does the Brazil Office offer courses in Brazil?

No. The DRCLAS Brazil Office in São Paulo and Harvard’s Brazil Studies Program in Cambridge do not offer formal, traditional courses for credit.

Does Harvard University have a campus in Brazil?


How can I apply for scholarships or financial aid?

Each of Harvard University’s undergraduate and graduate schools has a financial aid office in Cambridge or Boston (USA). The Brazil Office in São Paulo does not receive applications for financial aid and does not award financial aid, scholarships, or grants.

In addition to Harvard’s generous financial aid policies, which are directly administered by individual Harvard Schools, the Jorge Paulo Lemann Fellowships provides Brazilian students with significant financial support to attend Harvard College (undergraduate), the Graduate School of Education (GSE), the Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH), and the Kennedy School of Government (HKS), without regard to the students' ability to pay. The Lemann Fellowships at Harvard are administered by the Committee on General Scholarships and are awarded after applicants have been accepted to the GSE, HSPH, or KSG. These fellowships have been made possible by a gift from Jorge Paulo Lemann (AB '61). For additional information, please see the Lemann Fellowship webpage.

How can I study at Harvard?

I'm looking for a Bachelor’s/First degree

Students seeking a Bachelor's degree (sometimes known as an "Undergraduate" or "First" degree) have two options at Harvard:
Harvard College offers a four-year program of undergraduate education leading to the Bachelor's degree.
  • Most Harvard College students live at Harvard.
  • Harvard College offers generous financial aid to students, and international students are eligible for the same amount of financial aid as students from the U.S.
  • Admissions standards to Harvard College are rigorous.
The Harvard Extension School offers a Bachelor's degree in Liberal Arts (A.L.B).
  • The ALB program is designed for adult students, usually age 21 or older.
  • Students take a combination of on-campus and online courses.
  • Students in the ALB program do not live at Harvard.
  • Students may apply to the ALB program after successfully completing three courses.
I'm looking for a graduate/advanced degree
Students who have completed a Bachelor’s degree may seek a Master’s or Doctoral degree at Harvard’s graduate and professional schools:
Graduate School of Arts and Sciences – The Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences offers:
  • A total of 56 different degree programs, including all Harvard Ph.D.’s and several Master’s degree programs.
Business – The Harvard Business School offers:
Continuing Education – The Harvard Extension School offers:
Dental – The Harvard School of Dental Medicine offers:
Design – The Harvard Graduate School of Design offers:
  • Master’s degrees in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Urban Planning and Design, and Design Studies. It offers a Master’s of Design Engineering in conjunction with Harvard’s Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
  • Two Doctoral degrees: The Doctor of Design (DDes) and, in collaboration with Harvard’s Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, a Ph.D. in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, or Urban Planning
Divinity – The Harvard Divinity School offers:
  • Master’s degrees in Theological Studies, Divinity, and Theology
  • Ph.D. in Religion, in collaboration with Harvard’s Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
Education – The Harvard Graduate School of Education offers:
  • Master’s degrees in 13 different fields
  • Two Doctoral Degrees: The Doctor of Educational Leadership (Ed.L.D) and, in collaboration with Harvard’s Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, a Ph.D. in Education
  • Master’s degrees in Computational Science and Engineering and Data Science, and a Master’s of Design Engineering in collaboration with the Harvard Graduate School of Design.
  • Seven Ph.D. programs, in collaboration with Harvard’s Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
Government – The Harvard Kennedy School of Government offers:
Law – The Harvard Law School offers:
Medical – The Harvard Medical School offers:

I'm currently enrolled in a degree program at another university, and would like to be a visiting student at Harvard

Undergraduate students

Harvard College’s Visiting Undergraduate Students program allows students currently enrolled in an undergraduate (bachelor’s/first) degree program to spend one semester or one academic year at Harvard College.

Graduate students

The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences offers a Visiting Fellows program, which allows advanced doctoral students or those who already hold a doctorate to register at Harvard, if selected, as a full-time research student.

I'm looking for professional development opportunities

Many Harvard Schools offer short executive and professional education programs for mid-career professionals. More information on these programs can be found at the executive/professional education websites of the relevant Schools, which are organized by subject area:

How can I take a single course at Harvard?
There are several ways for individuals to take a single course or a handful of courses at Harvard without being admitted to or enrolling in a degree program:

  • The Harvard Extension School offers both on-campus and online courses
  • HarvardX offers online courses
  • The Special Students program at Harvard’s Graduate School of Arts and Sciences allows individuals not enrolled in a Harvard degree program to take courses at Harvard for one semester or one year


Can Harvard faculty conducting research projects on Brazil get help from DRCLAS to get in contact with Brazilian colleagues working in a related field?
Yes. The DRCLAS can and does actively assist Harvard faculty in establishing contacts with relevant faculty and researchers in Brazil. For additional information, please visit the Faculty Resources section of our website.

Can the DRCLAS Brazil Office assist Harvard faculty who are planning to visit Brazil to advance research, attend conferences, or participate in meetings?
Yes. The Brazil Office provides university-wide support for Harvard students and faculty members in Brazil. Along with the Brazil Studies Program at Harvard University, the Brazil Office serves as a hub for Brazil-focused faculty projects, often in collaboration with organizations and universities in Brazil. For more information, please visit the Faculty Resources section of our website.

Can professors and researchers in Brazil apply directly to DRCLAS for research grants?
No. While DRCLAS does not provide funding directly to Brazilian professors and researchers, collaborative research grants that support research involving Harvard faculty and their Brazilian counterparts are available. Financial awards to Harvard faculty may be used to pay for the expenses of their Brazilian collaborators provided that they are in accordance with the terms of the grant award. For more information, please visit the Collaborative Research page of our Faculty Resources Section.

Can Brazilian professors and researchers apply to be Visiting Scholars or Fellows at Harvard University?
Yes. Brazilian scholars may apply to be Visiting Scholars at the DRCLAS or other Schools and Centers at Harvard. Applicants to the DRCLAS Visiting Scholars program must have a doctorate or an equivalent level of academic preparation, while Fellows should have significant professional experience related to Latin America and a clearly defined research project related to the region. More information is available at the Visiting Scholars section of the website.

In addition to the DRCLAS Visiting Scholars and Fellows program, Harvard University’s various Schools and departments offer a range of programs. These programs are administered independently of DRCLAS. They include but are not limited to: the
Kennedy School of Government’s Mason Fellows Program, the Weatherhead Center Scholars Program, the Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies’ Academy Scholars Program, and the Harvard Law School’s Visiting Scholar and Researcher Program.

To search for additional programs that may be of interest, please visit Harvard’s individual schools and programs via Harvard Schools webpage.

How can I find my local Harvard community?
The Harvard Alumni Association is the official association of all alumni of Harvard University and supports a global community of Harvard alumni and friends.

Harvard Clubs can be found in more than 70 countries, and Shared Interest Groups allow Harvard alumni to connect around common activities, cultural interests or backgrounds, and professions.

How can I be a visiting scholar or postdoc at Harvard?
Like faculty positions, postdoctoral and visiting scholar positions are arranged by individual Schools or departments. Some postdoctoral and research appointments can be found via Harvard’s ARIeS search tool. Postdoctoral and visiting scholar positions are also advertised in scholarly publications and on the websites of academic departments and research centers.


Can DRLCAS assist Harvard students with research interests in Brazil?
Yes. DRCLAS provides support to Harvard students interested in research and studies in Brazil.  Harvard students should consult the Student Resources section of this website for information on the resources available to Harvard students, including grants.

Can DRCLAS assist Harvard students in finding study abroad opportunities in Brazil?
Yes. Working closely with Harvard’s Office of International Education, the DRCLAS supports Harvard College undergraduates and graduate students. For more information about the study abroad opportunities in Brazil, visit the Students Section of our website.

Can DRCLAS assist Harvard students in finding internship opportunities in Brazil?
Yes. DRCLAS offers support to Harvard students throughout the year. DRCLAS in Cambridge awards modest grants for current Harvard students who wish to engage in internships or research related to Latin America. For more information on grants for students, please see the 
Travel Grants section of Student Resources on our website.

What concentrations or areas of study are offered at Harvard College?
Harvard College offers a four-year undergraduate, liberal arts program for students seeking their first degree - either a bachelor's in arts (A.B.) or sciences (S.B.). Please consult the Harvard College Admissions Office for more information.

Are there formal student exchange opportunities for Brazilian university students at Harvard University?
No, there are no centrally-managed, formal exchange programs.

What graduate programs exist at Harvard?
Please consult the Harvard University Admissions & Aid website for links to the Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS), as well as other graduate and professional Schools at the University.

How are Harvard Alumni organized in Brazil?
The Harvard Alumni Association (HAA) directs the organization of alumni in Brazil. For additional information, please contact

The Brazil Studies Program and Brazil Office in São Paulo increases the opportunities for engagement of Harvard's alumni network in the country. Alumni and their contacts throughout Brazil can play an important role in connecting students to worthwhile endeavors, providing advice, navigating internships, and serving as mentors.


Is it possible for my university or organization to establish a partnership or formal agreement with Harvard University through DRCLAS?
Partnerships and formal written agreements between Harvard and other universities and organizations are very rare. DRCLAS is not able to sign agreements or enter formal partnerships on behalf of Harvard College (undergraduate program) or the University’s professional schools (graduate programs). We seek to pursue our Program’s mission of encouraging faculty and student engagement with Brazil by supporting specific and clearly-defined research projects and student programs. We work to support existing research and teaching collaborations and to identify new ones by connecting Harvard faculty and students with their Brazilian counterparts. Faculty support in Brazil and at Harvard is a critical pre-condition of a successful collaborative engagement.

Does DRCLAS organize or co-sponsor seminars or other activities in Brazil?
Yes. DRCLAS organizes targeted conferences, seminars, workshops, and meetings that involve Harvard faculty and students and that support the University’s core focus on research and teaching. We also support individual research meetings and off-the-record discussions between Harvard faculty and their Brazilian counterparts. In most cases, events emerge from a pre-existing connection between Harvard faculty and their counterparts from Brazilian universities and organizations. Public events, in some cases, are a positive outgrowth of Harvard professors' travel to Brazil. Fostering enduring, collaborative research and teaching relationships is our central goal in organizing and co-sponsoring individual events.

Can DRCLAS assist Brazilian non-profit organizations and companies who are interested in hosting Harvard student interns?
Yes. DRCLAS can assist Brazilian organizations and companies interested in recruiting Harvard students to do internships and volunteer work. If you would like to learn more, please contact us at


Useful Links

How can I study at Harvard?