The Mentoring and Language Acquisition in Brazil (MLAB) Program aims to help reduce barriers for talented Brazilian youth with overwhelming potential and a strong desire to study in the world’s best universities.
High-need, high-potential Brazilian students often lack sufficient English language skills and direct contact with role models who understand what it takes to make it to a place like Harvard. Harvard mentors will help Brazilian mentees improve their English while inspiring them to apply for college prep programs in Brazil and to top universities in the U.S.
Key Program Features:
Click here for information on previous MLAB programs.
INFO SESSION: Thursday, September 8th, 2016, 5:30 pm at DRCLAS Conference Room (CGIS South, 2nd Floor, 1730 Cambridge St)
Check out here the info session presentation!
The January in-person mentorship program in São Paulo will take place January 2017.
WHO CAN APPLY?
Brazilian students take part in an internal application proccess as determined by Harvard's Brazil Office and participating partner institutions.
Harvard College students interested in being an MLAB mentor must:
- have taken at least 1 Portuguese course in the past or be currently enrolled in at least an introductory course
- demonstrate mentoring or related experience (or a strong desire to mentor)
- commit to mentoring and inspiring their Brazilian mentee over a year of weekly virtual mentorship
- participate in the mentorship program that will take place in São Paulo in January 2017
- participate in all MLAB activities including orientation & training, virtual events, and check-ins
- be interested in learning more about Brazil through cultural exchange and direct interaction with Brazilians
- believe in MLAB's mission
KEEP IN MIND:
Students selected to be MLAB mentors must be prepared to apply for a visa immediately after being selected (depending on passport's country of issue). Students must also have a passport with an expiration date after July 1, 2017. If you do not have a passport, you must apply for one immediately after being selected.
MLAB has no program fee! Expenses in São Paulo are fully covered (transfers, housing, meals, cultural activities).
*Students on financial aid are eligible for financial support to cover expenses with plane tickets.
APPLICATION (Harvard College):
Applications are currently closed. Apply again next year (September, 2017).
If you are interest in other opportunities similar to MLAB, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please contact email@example.com